The story of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor has never ceased to fascinate ever since the Duke, then King Edward VIII, gave up the throne in December 1936 to marry Wallis Simpson, the woman he loved. Today – the fortieth anniversary of the Duke’s death – sees the publication of Michael Bloch’s six acclaimed books about the couple, written during the 1980s and 90s with privileged access to their private papers. Today’s final extract is from The Secret File of the Duke of Windsor.
In this brilliant and authoritative work, based on their private correspondence and papers, Michael Bloch describes the feud which developed between the Duke of Windsor and the British royal establishment after the Abdication, the humiliations which were suffered by the ex-King and his wife, and the plots to ensure that they remained in exile.
Read Michael Bloch’s 2012 preface and an extract of the book here.
Read the previous extracts:
Here's a selection of keyword-matched articles that you might also find interesting:
- Little, Brown to Reissue Michael Bloch's Six Acclaimed Books about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor
- Read the introduction to Michael Bloch's Wallis & Edward
- Michael Bloch's The Duchess of Windsor
- An extract from Michael Bloch's The Duke of Windsor's War
- Michael Bloch's The Reign and Abdication of Edward VIII