This week, we have been sharing chapters from Michael Bloch's six acclaimed books about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, and today is the turn of Operation Willi.
In this fascinating piece of historical detective work – the result of several years’ research and the interrogation of numerous surviving witnesses – Michael Bloch has penetrated one of the great mysteries of the Second World War: the plot to bring the Duke of Windsor under German power on the eve of the Battle of Britain, a plot which the Duke himself is sometimes said to have given encouragement. A work of historical sleuthing in the classic tradition, combining powerful writing with scrupulous scholarship.
Read Michael Bloch’s 2012 preface and an extract of the book here.
Here's a selection of keyword-matched articles that you might also find interesting:
- Little, Brown to Reissue Michael Bloch's Six Acclaimed Books about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor
- Read the introduction to Michael Bloch's Wallis & Edward
- Michael Bloch's The Reign and Abdication of Edward VIII
- Michael Bloch's The Duchess of Windsor
- Michael Robotham’s Bleed for Me on Channel 4’s TV Book Club