This June we will be publishing the perfect summer novel for fans of crafts – whether it’s knitting, sewing, cutting or making!
Laura’s Handmade Life by Amanda Addison is the story of Laura Lovegrove, who leaves London behind for rural Norfolk with her husband and young children. Laura knew village life would be different, but she didn’t foresee a pokey cottage, nosey neighbours, errant poodles, and even an ex-boyfriend turning up! Following a fire, Laura makes do and mends – sewing purses, bags, even dog leads (which should solve the poodle problem). Soon, she’s inundated with orders. But Adi, her husband, is becoming more and more distant, as if there’s something he’s not telling her. Can Laura make a stitch in time and pull her family back together again?
To celebrate the publication of Laura’s Handmade Life, we are setting a crafty challenge, launching on April 21st. Caroline Hogg, Senior Editor at Sphere, has put together the video below demonstrating how to make a very simple book bag. Following these instructions, we’d like you to make your own book bag, decorating it as you wish, and send a picture to Hannah.Hargrave@littlebrown.co.uk.
The author, Amanda Addison, who is a graduate from Chelsea School of Art, will judge all our entries and select one winner, and five runner-ups. The winner will be sent a sewing machine and a Cath Kidston sewing box, as well as a signed copy of Laura’s Handmade Life.
The five runner-ups will each receive a signed copy of the book.
The deadline for entries is 21st June, and the winner will be announced on publication day, 23rd June. Entries should be sent to Hannah.Hargrave@littlebrown.co.uk. Terms and conditions are below.
Terms and Conditions – Laura’s Handmade Life by Amanda Addison
1. This competition is to win a sewing machine and a Cath Kidston sewing box. We also have five runners up prizes of 5 signed copies of Laura’s Handmade Life by Amanda Addison.
2. The winner will be the entrant who the author, Amanda Addison, feels has made the best book bag. The five runners up prizes will be selected at random by the author.
3. The winners may see their entry posted on the Little, Brown website and Twitter account, and possibly other websites and Twitter accounts
4. The Judges’ decision is final.
5. There is no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
6. The competition opens at 5.00pm BST on 21st April 2011 and closes at midnight BST on 21st June 2011. Any entries received outside these specified times and dates will not be eligible for entry into the competition.
7. Entries must be received on or before the Closing Date.
8. The competition is open to anyone aged 16 or over except employees of Little, Brown Book Group, their families, or anyone professionally connected to the competition either themselves or through their families.
9. Only one entry per person allowed. Second or subsequent entries will be disqualified. Entries will not be accepted via agents, third parties or in bulk.
10. Little, Brown Book Group is not responsible for contacting or forwarding prizes to entrants who provide unclear or incomplete information or for entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
11. Little, Brown Book Group reserves the right to alter the prizes or cancel the competition without notice.
12. Your email address may be shared with companies within the Hachette group of companies but will not be shared with other companies outside the group.
14. By entering the competition each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
15. This competition is being organised by Little, Brown Book Group.
Here's a selection of keyword-matched articles that you might also find interesting: